AmeriCorps/FEMA

AmeriCorps/FEMA

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Day 1 - Arrival in Vicksburg, MS

The day started way too early. Both Mom and Dad came to see me off at the airport. I would be lying if I said I didn't get a little sad at the prospect of leaving them and home behind, but every great journey starts with leaving home and familiar grounds behind. The first flight was about 3ish hours to Dallas, TX with a layover. Hopped on another quick flight to Jackson, MS. The weather here in MS is very hot and humid. We were met by a crew of AmeriCorps staff and after checking in, we boarded a bus for a hour long ride to our home base, Vicksburg, MS. Driving to our home base, the area has a country like atmosphere to it. It is very green and luscious with lots of trees and open areas full of green grass. Very different compared to CA where all the grass are turning gold and plants dying. Freeways here are not very big with like 2-3 lanes, but gas here is cheap! Like $2.30 - $2.40 per gallon. 

We finally arrived at our campus. It's really nice and has lots of green space which is great for playing frisbee or football with the team. Everyone here is really friendly and welcoming. We checked in, got our papers, and room key. Our dorm room is a good size. Has bunk beds, lots of shelves for clothes and our own sink to brush our teeth without ever leaving our room. Better than home! :) I have two other girls rooming with me who are also on the same team as I. I also met the rest of my team - they're all really nice and they're all from the east or Middle East area. So I'm the only gal from the West! I'm already really liking the chemistry of this team and plus our team leader is super nice and super chill!

We had dinner together, which was spaghetti, green beans, and salad. Definitely not Dad or Mom's cooking though. Probably one of the things I'll miss most about home. After dinner, we had a couple of meetings to attend to and then we did a quick store run. I just had to get some bedding, pillow, soap, toothpaste - just the basics.

Tomorrow is another busy, long day, with an early call time, so I'm going to leave it off here for tonight. And sorry for the lack of pics! It was a travel day and we don't have Wi-Fi in the dorms, so I'm using data from my phone and as a hotspot for my computer to upload the pics. Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions or anything I should talk about more. This is my very first blog so I'm unsure what topics to cover so I'm open to any feedback or suggestions. So goodnight from Vicksburg, Mississippi!













12 comments:

Unknown said...

My comments arent posting >:(

Unknown said...

Oh sure, that one posted.

Unknown said...

What I said was.....great post! Your room looks big. Cant wait to see pics of the campus and Vicksburg. Does your team have a name or number? Are there stores that are walking distance from campus? Eat healthy and have adventures!

Unknown said...

Me too...this is my second attempt.

So, Kelly, I agree -- this is a great post!
What states are your roommates from? What are their first names?
Thanks for the pictures...So one is of your room, one is of your name badge, but the other one - is it a lapel pin? a plaque on the door? Keep sending pictures!
And can you send some gasoline this way? It is $3.89 here today.
Looking forward to hearing more!
Thank you!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Kelly from the Hansen's here in Idaho. What an exciting journey you have begun. Love your first entry. Looking forward to following you☺

Unknown said...

We are Summit 1. There are 4 different groups - Summit, Bayou, Gulf, and Ocean. Summit is the largest group with like 8 teams.

Unknown said...

I am now down to one roommate because the other one left for reasons that I feel that I should not disclose at this point. So my current roommate, Madeline, is from Massachusetts. She has done FEMA Corps last year in Vinton, Iowa so she know quite a lot of stuff she she's been a huge help and will be a huge help when it comes time for packing on spike trips! The other that left was from MS. She lived about 4 hours way from campus.

The picture you mentioned was of the welcome folder that they gave us when we first checked in. It has like maps of the campus, info about Vicksburg, and etc.

Unknown said...

Hi! I haven't seen or talked to you guys in a while! I hope everything is going great in Idaho and thanks for following me on my journey!

Anonymous said...

my comments not posting either.
Cin must have blocked me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly! Glad you landed safely at Vicksburg! Can't wait to hear more about your work and see more pics. Glad you are seeing new & different things like GREEN grass and cheap gas! Do you have a mailing address? Thanks for the great blog. Looking forward to your next posting. Take care!.....Aunt Cher

Unknown said...

yep, thats right.
heheheheh

Taylor said...

No WiFi in the dorms?? Sounds like torture! Looking forward to following your blog posts. Jesse says hi, too :)