AmeriCorps/FEMA

AmeriCorps/FEMA

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Last Week of Round 1

Day 119 - Monday (9), Still don't like waking up for work on a Monday morning. Almost forgot my badge today so I had to sprint upstairs to retrieve it. Good way to get myself moving and awake.

Part of the office is getting set up for our Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. There are tables covered in tablecloths already set up in the next room. So I'm pretty excited for tomorrow!

We had our usual Monday team meeting today with tacos for dinner. They were delicious and for the last learning activity, we learned about tacos and part of its origins.

After our team meeting, a few of us took a little trip to IKEA out of sheer boredom. My favorite sections were the beds, bathroom counter tops and tiles, kitchen, and the office area. I could probably have slept in the beds if I didn't feel like they were dirty.


Day 120 - Tuesday (10), Today we had our Thanksgiving feast at work. I left with Kristina and Kodiak to pick up all the food from HEB, the main grocery store chain the south. It took approximately 1.5 hours to get all the food and back to the office.

There was a lot of food, but not as much leftovers as I thought. There was 2 turkeys, 4 chickens, 2 hams, 2 pans of mash potatoes and stuffing each, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, green bean/chicken casserole, gravy, pumpkin and apple pies, etc. It was all very good and it was nice because there were tables set up for everyone to sit down, eat, and relax for a bit.

After work, I took a 2 hour nap because I was tired from not getting enough sleep from the previous two nights. I woke up at 6:30 pm with a start, thinking I slept the night away because it was super dark outside. So glad we get tomorrow off, Veteran's Day, so I can sleep in and relax!


Day 121 - Wednesday (11), It was really nice to have a day off today! I slept for around 10 hours and it felt really good.

This morning was a slow one. Just hung out in bed for a bit, then I got up and did a workout downstairs. I took some time to myself and went through and organize my picture folders for AmeriCorps. Looking through pictures that were taken a few months ago made me realize how much time has actually passed even though it seemed like just yesterday. I can't believe all the things we have done in Round 1 and I'm excited for the other two rounds to come. Round 1 is definitely the longest round, 3 months, so I'm really thankful that the other two rounds will be much shorter because 3 months for us is a long time to stay in one place. Plus our team really enjoys traveling and living on the go. It brings a sense of excitement while our lives here in Houston have become a little sedentary. So I'm really looking forward to returning back to campus, catch up with friends, share stories and figure out where we're heading to for Round 2!


Day 122 - Thursday (12), Today was a pretty good day considering that we all knew tomorrow was going to be Friday. The morning went by quickly and we then had to attend a class in the afternoon. It was interesting went by quicker than I thought.

After work, we drove to the gym to do PT. After PT, we showered and went out as a team we to eat. We had leftover money from our budget this week so we were able to go out and have a good time with everyone. It was really fun to chat outside of the office and it was a good time for bonding.

After dinner and back in our room, Kodiak introduced us to a new TV show called Quantico. We only saw the first episode and as confused as it left me, it was a really good show and I enjoyed it. I then packed lunch for tomorrow and got ready for bed.


Day 123 - Friday (13), It's Friday the 13th! Today really dragged on. It was like if someone bewitched the clock to move extra slow.

We did PT today after work. I spent an hour playing basketball outside with some of the boys. It was pretty fun. The weather right now is the perfect condition to play basketball outdoors. It's a cloudy overcasting, not exactly cold, but that refreshing weather with a nice breeze. That's my perfect weather I like to play outside in.

After PT, I took a shower and did laundry. Kristina and I went to get dinner at a place called Salata, which is a salad bar. It was really good and well worth the money spent. There were a lot of toppings in which Kristina and I loaded our salads up. We spent the rest of the night relaxing in our room watching TV shows on our laptop.


Day 124 - Saturday (14), Did not enjoy waking up early, but I drove Kristina to the gym so she could do her classes and I worked out for a little bit also.

Afterwards, I took Kristina with me on a mission assigned by my Dad. I was suppose to find this red button that made a bubble in the bayou and push it. So I drove all the way to downtown Houston, more specially by the bayou area, in search for this big red button. Apparently I passed it and didn't notice it. So we spent a good 10 minutes scouring the entire park for this button before I went onto Yelp to get some pictures as visual cues. Finally I was able to decipher the pictures as to where the location of the red button was. I pushed the red button and ran to get a better view. Guess what I saw? Nothing in the waters. The couple next to me said they pushed it also and thought it was turned off because they saw nothing also. After they said that, then I thought to myself,  "I did not drive all the way downtown to not see this bubble in the bayou." So I had Kristina push it a few more times and suddenly we finally saw the bubble. I took my pictures and videos as visual evidence of proof for my Dad, then we left to start heading back to the hotel and to also get coffee because I have wanted to get Kristina tea for dragging her on this mission.

We got back to the hotel and hung around for a few hours before we headed out for another team dinner. We went to this Thai buffet place and I was pleasantly surprised that they had several vegetarian dishes. It was all very tasty and I really enjoyed it. We ate until we were all stuffed.


Day 125 - Sunday (15), Today was a very lazy and chill day for our last Sunday here in Houston. I mainly stayed in our room just relaxing, watching some videos and working a little bit on an essay. We also cleaned our kitchen trying to organize non-perishable items that we can take with us back to campus and for Round 2. Everything else that we didn't store in our black bin will either have to get eaten or will get thrown out on Thursday. So Kristina and I are trying to get the boys to eat as much as possible so we don't have to throw away much of the food.



Thanksgiving Meal




My delicious salad from Salata






Found this violin sculpture in Downtown Houston





Found the red button!










No comments: