AmeriCorps/FEMA

AmeriCorps/FEMA

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Back in Austin!

The day in which I'm posting this blog, October 4th, today is my Mom's Birthday! I wanted to say Happy Birthday Mom and thank you for all your love and support! I love you and have a great day!


Day 79 - Wednesday (30), Today went by a little faster than yesterday. I'm a little bummed out because our POC at work is leaving tomorrow, so we have to get a new one. He was pretty cool and really nice to us. He was always making sure we were ok, had enough food to eat, always cracking jokes and making us smile, and was really generous and caring. It will be sad to see him leave. 

We went to the gym after work today for PT. I did some media work after the gym and had dinner. Andre made dinner tonight - it was really simple but it was good. Dinner tonight was salad and tofu. It was healthy so I ate quite a bit of the salad and tofu. I spent a couple hours watching NCIS - I really enjoy watching crime TV shows, they have suspense and keep you hooked and they tend to know when it's a good time to go to commercial. My favorite crime TV show is Law and Order: Special Victims Unit. They are in their 17th season, so 17 years of this show, and they always amaze me how they keep coming out with new episodes/content that keeps their audience ratings up. Most good TV shows only last for roughly 4-6 years or maybe a few years longer but 17 years is a long time. And majority of the characters that first started out when the pilot aired is still on the show which I thought that was pretty cool!


Day 80 - Thursday (October 1), The amount of work I have been given has been slowing down for me this past week so this week seem to drug on. But I'm glad it is almost Friday!

This weekend, I am going back to Austin to try to surprise some of my friends from Summit 2! I think they already know that I'm coming, but it'll be a good time to hang out with them anyways. I wanted to visit them before I went on fall break. It's been a while since I've seen them, and although we do text frequently, it's just not the same as seeing them in person. I always have such a great time and lots of laughter with them so I want to surround myself with the people that make me happy. And we usually have some good stories to tell in the end.


Day 81 - Friday (2), Finally glad today is Friday! Work flew by pretty quick, which was good.

We went to the gym after work today, but that ended early because one of my team member sprained his ankle so we took him home to rest. I went across the street with a couple guys and played some basketball. It has been so long since I even shot a basketball let alone touch one. I was really rusty so I need to get my game back on. But I felt really nice to shoot some hoops again and I will definitely be trying to hit the courts when I return home for Thanksgiving break. It also reminds me of the days back in my sophomore year, when my friends were all together and cool with one another. We all had the same goal, which was to been Del Oro, a team we could never beat. We lost to them the first meet up of that season, but we beat them the second time, which also happened to be the championship game! The moment and euphoria of the clock winding down and expiring was just amazing and undescribable. Those were just some great memories and just a great time/moment in our lives that I will never forget.

After playing some ball, I took a shower and started my washing and drying of my laundry. I'm leaving for Austin tomorrow morning, so I needed some clean clothes. While my clothes were drying, I packed some snacks for tomorrow and after dinner and when my clothes were dry, I started packing. I still have a few things to pack, such as hairbrush, contacts, ect but those will be packed in the morning.

Kristina was out doing some errands so on her way back, she called me and asked if I wanted Chipotle for dinner, which I had not had since I left in July! Of course I said yes!

Kristina, by far, is probably one of the best team leaders. I'm not saying that because she is my TL, but just as a person, she really cares for all of us like we were her children, but without micromanaging and be super strict. She's very relaxed, calm when situations get sticky, open-minded, considerate, understanding of our needs and situations, and a very good listener and negotiator. She's also a really hard worker. Her work ethnic is amazing, and her determination and dedication to bring the best to our team is, well let's just say, I have met very few people like her. Kristina reminds me a little bit of my sister. It also helps that she's close in age to all of us. So I just wanted to express to you all, that I am in very good hands and truly have the best of the best team leader and could not ask for better.


Day 82 - Saturday (3), Woke up bright and early today! We got dropped off at the Greyhound Station and security check was a breeze. We started boarding at 8 am and left by 8:15. The trip was fairly quick, only about 3 hours, which I slept about almost half of it. We are staying at a Double Tree by Hilton, which usually are pretty nice hotels, courtesy of our POC at work who help us hook an amazing deal on the room! So we have him to thank. We arrived in Austin about 11 am.

We walked to our hotel which took about 15-20 minutes. It was a little confusing to get there because we couldn't figure how to get across the bridges and freeways without going on them, and my phone kept saying their was a pedestrian route. We finally found the little path my phone was talking about that cut through under the bridges. We arrived safely without a scratch at our hotel. We went to check in, but our room wasn't ready yet so we grabbed an Uber to take us to a museum downtown to meet Summit 2. It was really nice to see them again and we had a ton of stuff to talk about and catch up! We went back to the church, hung out for a few hours, took a nice walk around the neighborhood, and then we went to get some tacos. We got dropped off at Target - they had to pick up a few items. We then walked to our hotel that was about a 20 minute walk from Target. Our room was really nice, especially the beds. It was really comfortable and I fell in love with the pillows. Wish I could steal a few of them! We relaxed a bit in our room before going down to the pool. The pool was cold so we spent majority of our time in the jacuzzi. It felt really nice to relax, hang out, and catch up. We spent about an hour and half down in the spa before heading back to our room. We ordered a couple pizzas from Dominos because we got hungry again and watched a movie and just chatted. We hung out pretty late and I didn't get to sleep until about 1:45 am.


Day 83 - Sunday (4),
 Happy Birthday Mom!

I woke up around 9:30 and went downstairs and got breakfast. They had a lot of options and the food was really good! I got some yogurt, potatoes, and fruit. Now that I think about it, this is like the first real breakfast that I have had in such a long time. Normally I just eat a bowl of cereal or yogurt, or oatmeal for breakfast. Having the fresh fruit made me really happy.

I spent the morning just chilling in my room and listening to music. It was very relaxing and it gave me a chance to clear my head and a little bit of me time. We checked out of our room at 12 and hung out at the jacuzzi for a little bit before taking another Uber back to the church. We hung out with Summit 2 for a little more - we went outside and flew a kite and threw a football around. As simple and basic as that sounds, it was really fun and I really enjoyed the time spent with Summit 2.

We left the church around 4:45 and took another Uber to the Greyhound Station. Our bus was delayed and we didn't leave until an hour after our original departure time. The ride was a little rough, there was a screaming child in the back that cried for the first hour of the ride. Thankfully I brought some headphones, but it didn't mask the crying too well, but it was better than not having them.

We arrived back in Houston at 9:30 pm and got back to the hotel around 10. From there I took a shower, packed my lunch and went to bed because we still have work tomorrow. Only 4 more days until break and I get to see some of my family!




















Last week at Galveston































Our nice hotel room on the top floor - it's going to be a long night.



























Reunited with Summit 2!!
(Ashley, Alex, and Kaitlynn)




No comments: