AmeriCorps/FEMA

AmeriCorps/FEMA

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Under House Arrest

Day 98 - Monday (19), Today was a very good day for me and I never start Monday's off by saying that. Work was the usual, but Kristina and I got off an hour early to drop one of our team members off at a doctors appointment. Since we were kind of in the area, we stopped at REI to buy her a new water bottle before heading back to pick up the rest of the crew.

After dropping the crew off at the hotel, we picked up our team member from the doctor's appointment and dropped her back off at the hotel. Kristina and I ran out to do some errands and we stopped off at Smashburger for dinner. Kristina has never had Smashburger before and was a little skeptical to try it at first because she thought it would be all greasy and oily, but I assured her it was not. She order the black bean burger like I did and really enjoyed it along with the sweet potato smash fries. I think I now got her totally convinced that Smashburger is one of the healthier and tastier option/places to come for a vegetarian burger/black bean burger. I had a really good time hanging out with Kristina for a few hours today. We had a great conversation and laughed about a lot of silly and funny things today.

A little situation has came up today that put our team in a little bit of an inconvenience. This situation has been going on ever since we got back from break, but I didn't know it was going on until today. Apparently there have been a few Middle Eastern men sleeping next to our hotel room door. I don't know why but they just have. A few days ago, one of the hotel staff informed us of the men sleeping next to our door during one of his rounds. The hotel staff and campus are both trying to take care of this situation to make sure we stay safe. We informed campus about our situation and they said we could either move to a different housing location or use the buddy system. We decided to use the buddy system since it would be a hassle to move again. Since the men are only sleeping outside our rooms and we're girls, we now can't leave our hotel room or the hotel without have one of the guys present. So I can no longer sit in the hallways calling people. It's almost like us girls are in a jail or house arrest and must be accompanied by our bodyguard(s) everywhere if we want to set a foot outside our door. I've always wanted a bodyguard! But not in this situation. This situation is going to inconvenience our team for a little bit, but hopefully when the men check out of the hotel, things will go back to normal. But just a little update because this is the first weird situation we have had.


Day 99 - Tuesday (20), Today was a pretty normal day. Like yesterday, I spent majority of my time researching colleges with my major, requirements, class courses, and etc.

We headed to the gym after work and I spent my PT time on the basketball courts like usual. We had a little boy who wanted to play with us so we let him take a few shots.

The evening was pretty relaxing. We had a really good dinner. It was Taco Tuesday so we had tacos and burritos and they were really delicious. My favorite was probably the bean and corn filling.

I also found a new TV show called Blindspot a couple weeks backs and it is really good! Since I was behind, I watched an episode. The show is new, it premiered about a month ago. It's about a woman who has her memory wiped and her whole body is covered in tattoos. Each tattoo is a clue that needs to be deciphered in order to stop something terrible from happening. Such as a mass shooting, a bomb, things along those lines. The storyline of each episode has really good writing and each episode brings something new that is so creative. It's a show where you are always on edge because you never know what's going to happen. Plus they have some talented actors so it makes it really addicting to watch.


Day 100 - Wednesday (21), Today was a good day at work. I did more college research and we had another pizza party! Our boss, Liz, really enjoys feeding us and she alway makes sure we have enough snacks too.

When we got home, I watched my new TV show, Blindspot, until I caught up. I was only behind three episodes.

I made dinner tonight which was eggplant for the vegetarians and chicken parmesan for the meat eaters. This was the first time I ever cooked any kind of meat so I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't mess up the chicken and it turned out ok! I just dipped it in the egg batter, rolled it in panko bread crumbs, fried it until it got a crispy outer layer, and then baked it in the oven. Same thing for the eggplant. I also had spaghetti and garlic bread to go along with the eggplant and chicken. I think it was a pretty good meal!


Day 101 - Thursday (22), Today is the 100th day! I can't believe I've been in this program for a 100 days and still surviving! But we still have a 181 more days to go! I can still remember day 1 pretty clear but when I look back in a calendar, that seems so long ago! (Messed Up; Off By a Day)

Today was a pretty simple day. I started to finalize where I want to apply to college. With AmeriCorps, we get our college applications waivered which is great and it'll save me quite a bit of money! Besides college stuff, I also worked on some paperwork, calculations and worked on inserting those into and Excel spreadsheet.

After work, we chilled out at home a bit and ate dinner before we attending a 3 hour presentation for CERT Training. The topic covered more specifically was psychology of disaster. I really like the speaker that was brought in today. He was a psychology doctor for the Houston Fire Department. He talked for quite a bit, but he was very engaging and knowledgeable.

We got back around 10 pm and I prepared lunch for tomorrow and got to bed.


Day 102 - Friday (23), Always glad that it's Friday even though today was a pretty busy day. I had a meeting today with a graphic designer to learn more about a possible career in that field. Graphic design isn't exactly the major I want, but it's along the lines of what I want to do. I think I want to major more in visual communications and multimedia.

I finished figuring out the colleges I wanted to apply to. The school admissions have been contacted and now we just wait and hope they will waive my application fees.

After work, we went home and changed to go to PT. After PT, I took a shower and went out with Kodiak, Kristina to get pho for dinner. It was really good and I enjoyed it. I've missed eating ethnic foods such as Chinese, Thai and Indian, which are my top three.

We went to the grocery store to grab some more food before we might be trapped in our hotel due to the pouring rain that will be caused by Hurricane Patricia. We and the rest of Houston are right the flooding zone. After we went grocery shopping, we watched a movie - Good Will Hunting, which I have never seen before. It was pretty good even though I fell asleep during some parts of it.


Day 103 - Saturday (24), It was a very relaxing day today, except for the morning. We woke up this morning and went to a farm by University of St. Thomas to help out the farmer that takes of the farm. We did a lot of weeding and clearing of unwanted plants and grass. It rained on and off, but not too hard. We were filthy dirty by the time we finished, but it was a satisfying dirty. When we arrived back at the hotel, I jumped in the shower and cleaned off. It was refreshing and felt good to be clean.


We stayed in our hotel for the rest of the day. It was raining really hard so we couldn't really go anywhere. We got multiple emergency alerts for flash flooding and a possible tornado warning. The area north of us has received multiple inches and is flooding and where we are, we've gotten a couple inches but it hasn't flooded quite yet, but it will be raining hard overnight. I am quite interested to see what state it will be like when I wake up on Sunday. It's suppose to rain really hard on Sunday also.


Day 104 - Sunday (25), Today was a day filled with nothing, but in a good way. It was raining all day so it was one of those lazy, rainy days. I spent the majority of my day on the computer watching my TV shows, Netflix, and working on some college essays. It was good to have a relaxing day and we ended the night by playing a card game. It was pretty fun and good bonding time.

Oh, and also, all the Middle Eastern people are out of our hotel! We got one kicked out, then a couple more kicked out, then finally after we went down for the third time, the hotel staff told them that they all had to leave. So even after they all left on Saturday, we still had to stay in our hotel due to the flood warnings.





















Working on the farm cutting down weeds



























Eggplant/Chicken Parmigiana - chicken turned out ok! 

No comments: