AmeriCorps/FEMA

AmeriCorps/FEMA

Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Year! Settling Back into Daily AmeriCorps Rountine

Day 175 - Monday (4), I had a fantastic time over Christmas break. It felt extremely nice to sleep in my own bed, have my own room/privacy, shower whenever I wanted, a car that I could drive without needing extra passengers, and WiFi. Home was a luxury and it wasn't until I got into this program that I needed to appreciate all the little things just a little bit more.

I took a red-eye flight out of Sacramento, had a 3 hour layover in Chicago and landed in Columbia around 11 am ET. Getting to the east coast was 5000x times easier than it was getting home on the west coast. I didn't have any delayed or cancelled flights and I like to say that everything went rather smoothly.

Kristina and Kodiak picked me up from the airport. Since I didn't get much sleep even though I slept on all the flights, I asked them to drop me off at housing so I could get a few more hours of peaceful sleep. It was extremely nice to have housing to myself and silence that was until the kids from the day care started storming through the building around 4 pm and it wasn't so quiet then.

I eventually got out of bed around 5:30 after making sure all the kids left, watched some TV until the crew returned home from laundry and grocery shopping at 7 pm. I had dinner and I went straight back to bed so I would be ready for tomorrow's day of work.


Day 176 - Tuesday (5), Today at work was a little rough especially after taking a nice break away from work. I continued where I last left off before I went on break - Round 2 portfolio. I haven't really gotten around to designing it. I'm in the brainstorming stages where I think of page layouts, colors, and some cool effects that would give a little bit of life to the portfolio, 

We did PT after work, which we played soccer. I really like the PTs where we play team sports. In Houston, it was just going to the gym everyday and do your own stuff whether that was lifting weights or biking  Here we do PT as a team with other teams that are near where we're staying such as Gulf 3 and Gulf 1. It also makes doing PT less dreaded and more fun all equaling in the time flying by faster. An upside is that we also don't have to pay for gym memberships.


Day 177 - Wednesday (6)
, Today was a relatively slow day at work. Since this a short round, our portfolio right now is our main priority, which I spent majority of the day working on. It's also nice to know that transition is just around the corner so we'll be seeing the other teams in a few weeks.

After work, we played ultimate frisbee for PT. It was really fun to play frisbee again since we haven't played it for quite a while. I'm trying to use the techniques that I was taught to make the frisbee go further, but it's just not quite working out yet. I need more practice.

Today, we lost a member of our team  - Andre. He decided to resign for personal reasons and he's heading back to his hometown which is in Kentucky. A few of us went drop him off at the airport and say goodbye. It was kind of sad that we won't see him everyday and who knows the next time we'll see him again. We are now down to a 7 person team which is still one of the larger teams from campus.

After we dropped Andre off, we proceeded with our night. I took a shower, ate dinner, watched some TV, and got to bed early because I was feeling pretty tired.


Day 178 - Thursday (7)
, Today, I continued to work more on our team portfolio. Expectations are a little bit high for me because I'm now in charge of the portfolio since Andre left and we also won the portfolio contest for Round 1. Since I designed the entirety of the first portfolio, the designing aspect for this portfolio has to be brought up a notch. I'm kind of in a creative block right now because I can't brainstorm any other page layouts that doesn't match the same layouts from the Round 1 portfolio. I don't want to duplicate any layouts, but it's more important for us to get our info across. But hopefully I'll come up with something and it'll get done on time.

After work, a lady from work invited us over to her apartment to get leftover food. Since she's leaving on Monday and didn't want to throw away the food, she donated it to our team. It was an extremely nice gesture on her behalf and we crossed a few things off of our grocery list for next week. We saved a few dollars for next week's shopping.

Since we couldn't return to housing until 6, we parked the car at Five Points and I took a stroll through the place before ending up at Starbucks. I stayed there for about a half hour before we returned back to housing. We had dinner, I took a shower and went to bed. I've been doing pretty well at getting to bed at a decent time this week. Hopefully I don't jinx it for next week.


Day 179 - Friday (8)
, I got a little bit more work done on the portfolio today. Still very behind on designing because I'm still waiting for all the info to be sent in to me after they've all been looked over, proofread, and edited.

After work, we did our usual routine of dropping Sean off at a comic book/game store. Madeleine's grandma was also in town so we dropped her off with her. After that, we went to Whole Foods and I just browsed around the store.

When we got back, I shot a few hoops in the gym. It's really nice and convenient to have our own indoor basketball court just a few feet away from our housing. After I got done, I took a shower which was also really convenient since the shower is also located in the gym. Only had to walk a few steps to get there

I got to bed kind of late tonight which might not have been the smartest idea since I have an early morning tomorrow.


Day 180 - Saturday (9)
, Today, I did an ISP that worked with this really nice couple in tearing apart the inside of their house so they could rebuild it. We cleared out some of their insulation, took a sledgehammer and knocked down a few panels of their walls which was extremely fun, cleaned out their garage, power washed the garage, the outside of their house and their toilets that were sitting in the front yard that were covered in mud and dirt.

It was really fun to be able to work with them and get some hands on work after being cooped up in the office all week. I had a really fun time using the power washer. I just like using power tools in general. They also took us out to lunch at a local pizza place which was pretty good, but they know how to do cheese, a lot of cheese. They even have a salad that is just covered in cheese. Of course I had to try a little bit of it and it was actually pretty good but the Italian dressing was too tangy for my taste.

We wrapped up around 3 pm when it started to drizzle. I got dropped back off at housing and beelined straight for the shower. After, I ate a snack and fell asleep on the couch for about two hours. When I woke up, I watched a few hours of Law and Order: SVU.


Day 181 - Sunday (10)
, Today I had a little bit of a lie in before the day got started.

We went to the zoo in Columbia called the Riverbanks Zoo. Gulf 1 and Gulf 3 tagged along with us also. We had complimentary passes so all of us got in for free. We arrived at the perfect time because we got to see penguins getting fed, feed and pet a giraffe, and see some other really cool animals. Like usual my favorite parts of the zoo are usually the otters, penguins, lions and tigers. My least favorite part is the reptile house. Creeps me out every time. Especially the alligators and snakes. I keep thinking one of them is going to lunge at me and scare me to death.

We stayed at the zoo for a couple hours before heading back to housing. I made myself some pasta for lunch and took a quick nap before playing basketball. We were originally going to play in the gym but it was already occupied with some other games. Instead, we drove to a park and played on the outside courts which I'm not a huge fan of because the metal rim and backboard just makes the ball bounce more as compared to an indoor gym. But we still had a good time.

I got dropped us back off at housing and took a shower. I ate dinner which was my leftover pasta from lunch with a side of black beans/corn mixed with balsamic vinegar. I also decided to make lunch for tomorrow so I went downstairs to cook some rice and corn with sun-dried tomatoes. Since the light in the kitchen was out, I ended up cooking with the flashlight from my phone. It wasn't that bad cooking one-handed especially since I didn't really have to chop anything. I put all the food into containers, washed the dishes and got everything ready for work tomorrow before I settled in for bed.




















Family Christmas Pic

(Left to Right starting at the Bottom: Kate (cousin), Corey, Grandma, me, Mark (Kate's husband), Allan (uncle), Jesse, Cheryl (aunt), Sharon (aunt), Mom, and Dad)



























My cousin Kate's baby shower!





















My mom and Cheryl love to take pictures so I thought it would be fun to take a picture of them taking pictures of Kate and Mark. 





The couple's house that we helped with. They have the cutest and nicest dog! 



Like with the Houston Zoo, instead of posting all the pictures here on the blog, you can instead click the link below to see all the pictures that I took at the Riverbanks Zoo. If you click on the pictures, they will enlarge and turn into a manual slideshow. Once you are in the manual slideshow, there is an info icon (looks like an "i" in a white circle) on your top-right corner that you can click and there, I have written comments/details. Let me know if you have any questions or can't access them.


https://goo.gl/photos/BDLVojLTXf18zjPd6


No comments: