AmeriCorps/FEMA

AmeriCorps/FEMA

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Tryin' Somethin' New

Hey everyone! I thought I would try something new today! Read my latest blog to see what I did today! Hope you guys like it!


Day 182 - Monday (11), Deadlines are this week for the portfolio! Kind of excited knowing that I'll be finished with it by the beginning of next week and more than ready to see the finished product. Also excited that transition is just around the corner, we get to travel again and see friends in just a couple weeks!

I worked more on the portfolio today. I finally got a draft sent to me of everything that needs to be put into the portfolio. Designing wise, it's been pretty good so far. I've been Google searching layouts to spark my creativity in right brain lobe.

We did our usual Monday after work routine of doing laundry and grocery shopping. Last week, they found a new laundromat that was next to a Food Lion (grocery store). So while the clothes were drying, we would leave one person behind to watch the clothes while the others grocery shop for dinner and other foods.

Since we didn't get back until 7 pm, we had frozen pizzas for dinner because they were quick and easy. After that, I took Drew to Target so he could get some hair products. It wasn't until we arrived back at housing that we realized neither one of us had grabbed the house key on our way out and that no on else on our team had grabbed the key either. We assumed that there were still others inside the housing but in fact everyone left and we all didn't know that each one of us left.

So after trying to "break" in or in other works, jiggle bobbi pins in the lock, using a credit card, trying to force a window open so one of us could squeeze in, we finally ran out of options and came to the conclusion that we were locked out of our housing. Luckily we had the van keys, which was still warm inside because it was freezing outside especially for me because I had shorts on.

We made a few calls to Holly (Gulf 3) and Kate's (Gulf 1) teams asking if we could crash for the night. They were fine with it so we drove over to their housing; the boys stayed with Gulf 3 and the girls with Gulf 1.

Luckily, we had emergency blankets in the van for if the van wouldn't start and/or we were stranded, so I grabbed one of those blankets and cuddled with that. It wasn't the softest blanket, but it did keep me really warm and I'm incredibly thankful that campus issued those blankets out to us because it saved my butt and toes from freezing.


Day 183 - Tuesday (12), Today we woke up early to travel back to our housing so we would arrive at the same time as the staff personnel that arrives on site at 7 am. After sitting in the car for a while and anxiously craning my neck to face the window, we finally saw a woman walk towards us. Hallelujah! We were saved! She unlocked the door for us and we bolted inside and up the stairs to get dressed and to brush our teeth so we could leave for work.

We left around 7:30 am, twenty-five minutes after we usually leave, so we weren't late to work by a lot. The office is really slow right now so it's not like we have a lot of work to do, besides the portfolio for me, and they don't get on us if we're late.

We did PT with Gulf 3 today - soccer. We originally didn't have a soccer ball and were going to play football instead until a guy showed up with a soccer ball and decided to play with us. It's been a little too cold outside for me to keep wearing shorts especially to do PT in them. I'm going to need to start wearing some soccer sweats for PT.

When we got home, I started cooking dinner. I made my Dad's Asian Lentils and Brown Rice Soup! It was pretty easy to make - there wasn't any rice vinegar at the store so I had to make my own rice vinegar. I used regular vinegar, added a bunch of sugar and some water to get rid of the pungent taste. The soup actually came out pretty well without me having to play around by adding things here and there.

I ate dinner with the team. After, I cleaned the kitchen and washed all the dishes. It's really nice to have three sinks and three faucets to do dishes in unlike Houston where there was only one. It makes the process go so much faster and easier.

I also just leaned that today marks 100 days left in this program. I can't believe I have been in this program for 183 days and there's only 100 days left! Time is just flying by so quick!


Day 184 - Wednesday (13)
, Today was our last day at work for the rest of the week. Like usual, I spent my time working on the portfolio and doing my media role. I'm about halfway done so still a bit behind, but majority of the "groveling and shoveling" pages are completed.

We played ultimate frisbee with Gulf 3 for PT today. My throw still needs practice. Short distance, I can do, long distance is a complete flop.

We returned to housing around six and my night consisted of dinner with the team, a shower, and working on the portfolio for a couple hours before heading off to bed. Nothing too exciting!



Day 185- Thursday (14), Today, instead of work, we did another ISP with the St. Bernard Project. We went back to the same house that had the mold and sent Kristina to the ER. They said it was mold free, but we made her stay behind just in case.

Since the last time we were at the house, they took out the ceiling and replaced the ceilings and walls with drywall in all the rooms. So while we were there, we made mud (construction) in which we used that to cover the screws so the surface would be flat, we put mesh tape in the gap where the drywall met, and covered the mesh tape with a different type of mud. By the time I was done, I was covered with white strips of mud. It's not a very clean or easy process.

We got done around five so I dropped people across town depending on where they wanted to go. I returned to housing at 6 pm and immediately took a shower. It was really easy to wash all of the mud off. After showering, we had dinner and I worked on the portfolio for a couple hours after that.


Day 186 - Friday (15), We returned back to the same house today to continue with what we were working on yesterday. Today, we finished covering the mesh seams, filled in the gaps between the ceiling and wall and put more mud there to make sure the seal was tight. It was a rainy day today which made the house a little bit chilly but it was nice to see some rain again.

After work and since it was Friday, we did our usual drop off around Downtown Columbia. We parked in Five Points and hung around for 20 minutes before we could return to housing. The night was very much like yesterday - shower, dinner and working on the portfolio until bed.

Oh and I also forgot. We learned out that we are moving today. There were some spots open at an ESA so they told us to move there. I spent the night packing and getting my things together so we are ready to go tomorrow morning.


Day 187 - Saturday (16), Today I woke up at 8 am to start getting ready for our move. It took a little bit of time to load up the van. Our stuff took up quite some room since none of us really "packed". We just threw stuff in a bag because we knew we would be unpacking shortly.

We are now staying in Irmo, South Carolina which is about a 30 minutes drive from Downtown Columbia. But close to where we are staying at, there is a huge shopping center with literally everything in it - Starbucks, Target, Chipotle, Ross, yogurt and much. So it's not that bad. Plus we know have our own bathroom and bed, which is extremely nice. It felt so nice to be able to sleep in a bed again and I probably was so deep asleep that I could have slept through a Class 5 Hurricane.

We made 3 trips to get everything to the ESA. The first trip was to move all our belongings and clothes, the second trip was to get our two large boxes of food and kitchen silverware, and the third one was to get two bikes that a company loaned us temporarily while we are in town. 

After we finished unloading everything into the hotel, we dropped Sean off at his game store and went to go get frozen yogurt. Getting fro yo was much more difficult than I anticipated. The first store we went to was closed. The second one didn't have any parking space available and traffic was bad so we decided to get out before it got worse, and finally we arrived at the third place near housing, but it was really congested in traffic there so it took forever to get in. And it took forever to get out - I was finished with my frozen yogurt by the time I got out of the shopping center.

I worked a little bit on the portfolio and mainly watched a Law and Order: SVU marathon. 





Trying to "break" into our housing!



Lentil soup!






My roomies!




Glass artwork - Chihuly glass



More glass work - this one is not Chihuly. (Don't remember exactly what it was.)



Day 188 - Sunday (17), Today I thought I would try something new! Hope you guys like it! Let me know in the comments down below!

Link below if you can't access it:



If it's blurry or skipping, you might want to check to make sure your video quality is on the right selection.








No comments: